Skip the flour tortillas and opt for lettuce as a healthy alternative.
- 2 lbs ground chicken (not ground chicken breast)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (8 oz) can sliced water chestnuts, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white or brown rice
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar and 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil (optional)
- 2 heads iceberg lettuce
- Place ground chicken and garlic in a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave mixture, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink, about 5 - 6 minutes. Drain off liquid and pour mixture into a 5 - 7 quart slow cooker. Add bell pepper, onion, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper and toss mixture. Cover and cook on low heat 2 - 3 hours until chicken is tender.
- Stir in water chestnuts, cooked rice, green onions, rice vinegar, and sesame oil, cook until heated through 3 - 5 minutes. Season with additional salt as desired. Separate iceberg lettuce leaves and serve with chicken filling.